Pacifichem 2015 Symposia
All 83 new proposals submitted during the Round 2 Call for Proposals (December 1, 2013 – March 1, 2014) were reviewed and graded by the Topic Area Reviewers and Chairs during March – May, 2014 with a final review for acceptance at the June, 2014, Organizing Committee meeting. Results were distributed to the Corresponding Symposium Organizers (CSO) in early July finalizing the Technical Program for Pacifichem 2015.
All proposals are managed through the Pacifichem 2015 On-Line Symposium System.
- The Pacifichem 2015 scientific program will be scheduled during the period Wednesday, December 15 through Monday, December 20, 2015.
- Symposia are organized by members of the Pacifichem 2015 Cosponsoring Societies or Official Participating Organizations [OPOs]. [See How to become an Official Participating Organization (OPO) if your OPO is not listed.]
- Each symposium must have three (3) co-organizers who are from different Pacific Rim countries, members of the Pacifichem 2015 Cosponsoring Societies or Official Participating Organizations [OPOs]. One shall be designated as the “Corresponding Symposium Organizer (CSO),” and all correspondence (e-mail, FAX, letters) relating to the symposium will be directed to this contact person. It is the responsibility of the CSO to keep all other co-organizers informed.
- All symposia are managed through the Pacifichem 2015 On-Line Symposium System.
- Symposium consist of the name of the Corresponding Symposium Organizer (CSO), and at least 2 additional co-organizers. All three co-organizers must be from different Pacific Rim countries. In addition the symposium contains the symposium title, and a brief 150-300 word description of the symposium topics that will be covered in the technical sessions.
- In the event that there is a change in the corresponding co-organizer, the remaining organizers should contact the Pacifichem Admin as soon as possible.
- Each symposium must include contributed papers, either oral or poster or both. Because there will be no oral General Sessions, organizers are requested to accommodate as many contributed oral papers as possible.
- Except for special circumstances, a symposium will have no more than five (5) half-day daytime oral sessions. Additional oral and/or poster sessions may be accommodated in the evenings.
- Each half-day oral session will have a maximum duration of 4 hours and should contain at least five (5) presentations. Sessions may have a short break (10 min) for networking or coffee; Sessions may also incorporate a short (5 min) introduction or conclusion. Evening sessions will be 2 hours in duration.
- Each half-day oral session should have speakers from more than one country.
- Limits on oral presentations: Maximum of 2 invited presentations per individual speaker. Maximum of 3 presentations (2 invited plus 1 contributed) per individual speaker. (There is no limit on co-authorship).
- All contributed oral papers are of 20 min duration. The duration of invited oral papers (e.g., 20 min, 30 min, 40 min) is at the discretion of the symposium organizers. However, organizers should note that shorter invited talks (e.g. 30 min) allow for greater flexibility with scheduling more speakers per session.
- Pacifichem 2015 will provide complimentary registrations in the form of registration voucher codes for invited speakers using the following procedure: Two (2) complimentary registrations will be allocated per half-day session if sessions contains 6 or more oral presentations; and one (1) complimentary registration voucher code for less than 6 presentations per half-day session. No complimentary registrations will be allocated for evening sessions.
Pacifichem 2015 Symposia
- Engaging in Cutting-Edge Science: The science presented at Pacifichem 2015 will cover the latest research in 11 Topic Areas in chemistry, chemical engineering and multidisciplinary chemistry including materials science, nanotechnology, medicine, and sustainability. Pacifichem 2015 will showcase where research in chemistry is now and where it is going.
- Making New Connections: Pacifichem 2015 will attract a vibrant mix of invited and contributed papers as well as international attendees from the Pacific Rim, Asia, and Europe. Poster sessions, session breaks, and symposium lunches & dinners, offer many opportunities to develop new research collaborations with old and new international colleagues.
- Impacting the Future: Pacifichem 2015 attendees can share their passion for chemistry and ignite enthusiasm in the next generation of scientists. Mentoring students to engage them in chemistry and research is a core objective of the Pacifichem meetings. As with previous meetings, Pacifichem 2015 will sponsor a Student Poster Competition, drawn from the symposium poster presentations.
First Round Calls for Symposium Proposals
The First Round Call for Symposium Proposals for Pacifichem 2015 occurred from January 1 – April 1, 2013. 310 symposium proposals were successfully submitted during the First Round. All submitted proposals were reviewed and graded by the Topic Area Reviewers and Chairs during April, 2013 with a final review for acceptance by the Pacifichem Organizing Committee in June, 2013.
Notices of the First Round reviews were sent to the Corresponding Symposium Organizers (CSOs) by July 31, 2013. Results of the reviews were published in the Preliminary Program during August – September, 2013 as new proposals were approved. Altogether 261 symposia were approved during the First Round.
Second Round Call for Symposium Proposals
The call for the Second Round of Symposium Proposals was December 1, 2013 – March 1, 2014. Eighty-three new proposals were submitted during the open period.
For reference, Pacifichem 2010 was held in Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, December 15 – 20, 2010 with a record number of 12,520 attendees, 163 Exhibitors, 235 symposia, and 13,268 abstracts. The list of the Pacifichem 2010 Technical Symposia provides a description of the symposia offered. All sessions scheduled and papers presented may be browsed through the Pacifichem 2010 online technical program.