Early Career Chemists Travel Grants
The Early Career Chemists Travel Grants was formerly called the Young Scholar Awards Program. The name was recently changed in order to clarify that travel grants will be given to chemists in the early part of their career path and is open to individuals in academic, industry, or government career tracks.
Pacifichem 2015 is no longer accepting applications for the Career Chemist Travel Grants.
The closing date for receipt of applications was 15 April 2015.
The Sponsoring Societies of Pacifichem 2015 are making available up to 40 travel grants for chemistry professionals from developing countries within the Pacific Basin. These grants are intended to support the attendance of early career chemists at Pacifichem 2015 and are targeted towards individuals who have completed their formal academic training and are in their first career position, whether this be in teaching, industry, or government institutions. These grants are NOT intended for students or post-docs. The grants include complimentary Congress registration, hotel accommodations for six nights of the Congress and US$2000 to cover travel and attendance costs. Full details of these grants, the eligible countries from which applicants are sought, and the method of application are detailed below under Eligibility and Application.
Eligibility and Application
Eligible Pacific Basin Countries
Nationals of the following countries are eligible to apply for an Early Career Chemist Award.
East Asia & Pacific: American Samoa; Cambodia; Fiji; Indonesia; Kiribati; Korea, Dem. Rep.; Laos; Malaysia; Marshall Islands; Micronesia, Fed. Sts.; Mongolia; Myanmar (Burma); Palau; Papua New Guinea; Philippines; Russia; Samoa; Solomon Islands; Thailand; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Vanuatu; Brunei and Vietnam
Americas: Argentina; Brazil; Chile; Columbia; Costa Rica; Ecuador; El Salvador; Guatemala; Honduras; Mexico; Nicaragua; Panama; Peru
South Asia: Bangladesh; Bhutan; India; Maldives; Nepal; Pakistan; Sri Lanka
1) Up to 40 Early Chemists Awards will be awarded for Pacifichem 2015 each carrying a grant of US $2,000 + complimentary congress registration + complimentary hotel stay for 6 nights.
2) The closing date for receipt of application is 15 April 2015.
3) Applicants for a “Early Chemists Award” must be 40 years of age or less on 31 December 2015.
4) Applicants must be a chemistry professional working in any developing country that borders the Pacific Ocean [see list above]
5) Applicants must be a chemistry professional from the list above of Eligible Pacific Basin Countries. Applications from individuals from other countries will be considered, but only on a case-by-case basis and only if there are fewer than 40 qualified applications from the list of eligible countries.
6) Applicants must be in their first permanent position in an educational institution, government agency, industry, or non- profit organization as a professional chemist or related science discipline.
7) Applicants must NOT be an undergraduate or graduate student, or in a post-doctoral appointment.
8) Applicants must be the principal author and presenter of a paper that has been accepted for presentation at Pacifichem 2015. [Awards are conditional upon paper submission and acceptance.]
How to Apply to the Early Chemists Awards Program
Applications should be submitted with a transmittal letter stating that the application is for “Early Career Chemists Awards” and be accompanied by the following:
I. Completed Application Form: Download the Early Career Chemists Travel Grant Application Form.
II. A 500-1000 word extended abstract. NOTE: The required Congress online abstract (~ 250 word) must also be completed and submitted per the instructions on the Pacifichem website.
III. Curriculum vitae that includes any chemical society membership(s) and a list of scientific publications (include papers accepted for publication but not yet in print)
Applications should be submitted to Nancy Todd either by email: email@example.com; by fax: 1-202-776-8044; or mailed to the following address:
C/o American Chemical Society
1155 16th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036
ATTN: Nancy Todd
DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS IS 15 APRIL 2015
Awards will be made upon recommendation from a panel of Chemistry professionals on the Pacifichem Organizing Committee. The results will be sent to applicants around 30 May 2015. Monies and registration packages will ONLY be made available to grantees in Honolulu at Pacifichem 2015 and NOT in advance.